Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Small Moment

Small Moment

Word Count Goal 300 words


It was the afternoon on Sunday, July 1st. It was a couple weeks after my 9th birthday. It was a beautiful day to go swimming, sunny and hot. After lunch I begged my dad "Please dad please, can we go to the pool?"
 Now we live in a condo so we have a pool 1 minute away if we walked. 
"Ok Shin Be, go get ready"
 "Yes!!! Thanks dad! By the way could we invite Christina? We live right across from her?" I begged
Christina was a friend of mine just a year older than me. My birthday was on her half birthday and her birthday was on my half birthday. 
"Sure, I'll go invite her than I'll come back up to get you." He said half excited and half tired.
"Great thanks" I exclaimed with excitement in my voice.
I was thinking, this is going to be awesome! So we walked to the pool with Christina and we found out that a couple people were already there. I remembering another time I was at the pool, I was 5 and my dad was teaching me how to swim and float on my back. There was just as many people there as there was now. 
"Come on, last one in is a rotten egg!" Christina sang while she was running towards the water.
 "You're on" I said and not wanting to be the rotten egg I ran and jumped right into the light blue, faint green pool making a huge splash of water land on Christina! The cool water felt refreshing after standing it the blistering hot sun. 
"Hey, I'll get you back!" So she jumped into the water splashing me back. With a bi g cannonball.
 "Ha, Ha!" I said sarcastically.
 So we were laughing and playing but we noticed that my dad disapeared for a while and when he came back he brought a cooler full of snacks.
 "Thanks Papa! I was getting really hungry!"
 "Thank you Mr. Felsner, I was also hungry!" 
Then it happened, right when we sat down to eat it the very far corner with a big cream colored umbrella. The big wicker chairs were also cream colored. The chairs were very big with tall handles and a back that be moved backwards and forwards. Christina and I could fit in one chair together and still have room. 
A big duck honked from a little outside of the pool gate. We weren't scared, becuase a duck never came inside of the gate anyways. The brown and green Mallard duck with its little ducklings waddling behind her.
 "1,2,3,4,5. 5 baby ducklings!" My dad said in amazement. 
"Wow, that a lot of ducklings, you don't think the momma will attack us do you? Christina asked.
 "If we don't tease the duck it won't attack us." 
In my head I thinking, oh no what if the duck does attack us. I think I'll just throw some bread at it. When at that moment the duck and its ducklings jumped the fence and started honking really loudly. The 5 baby ducklings were learning to swim the first time in this pool. That remembered again when I was learning how to swim and my dad was helping me just like the momma duck was helping the ducklings. Then the mom stopped helping them and started to honk at us getting right up in our face. The he duck was honking at every single person in the pool. Then for one reason or another, the duck started to come after us. At that moment, dad took a huge hunk of bread and cheese and held it right in front of the duck. 
"You want the bread?" my dad said. "Then go get it!" He threw the bread so far with a graceful arc, it went over the gate and far, far away. I had a thousand thoughts whirling inside my head. What would happen if my dad didn't throw it far enough or the duck didn't even want it. What if the duck still decided to attack us instead of going after the bread? I was still thinking about those things when I heard a honk. I looked up and saw the ducks waddling away from the pool probably thing about how mean my dad is.  I'm so glad that that idea worked because if my dad hadn't thrown that bread than those ducks would've pecked us. So right after the duck left we went back to having our snack. Of ham and a little more bread and cheese that he saved a little of so we could have a sandwich. After that it was getting late so we dropped off Christina at her house then we walked home and the whole time I was thinking about today and how I can't wait until tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment